Quite simply, a great place to live!
The Hewlett area takes its name from John Hewlett and his family who farmed the land three hundred years ago. It was Hewlett’s dream to establish a safe home and secure livelihood for himself and his family. Willow Pond (our "duck pond") was the watering hole for his livestock.
In 1914, Joseph Auerbach, a famous lawyer, bought most of the land that is now Hewlett Harbor and built a summer residence. In the course of construction of the Auerbach house the remains of an Algonquin Indian chief were found. He was buried with copper beads called "Sewan" by Indians. Auerbach built a country club for use by his friends and named it after the beads. The Seawane Club (www.seawane.com--link) was sold in the 1920's and the new owners determined that the two square miles of land purchased was far in excess of their needs. The excess land was developed and sold for one-family residential lots. No business use of any part of the property in Hewlett Harbor was then, or is now, permitted under Village zoning regulations.
In 1925 Hewlett Harbor was incorporated as a village. The village today consists of 439 one-family homes, the Seawane Club (www.seawane.com) (now membership owned) and our Village Hall. The Village covers approximately eight square miles.